Dinner in a Dish!
This Potato Tomato Chicken Casserole includes 4 of the 5 main food groups.
Meat & Beans: Chicken
Milk and Dairy: Cheese
Just try to find a chicken casserole recipe that has an appearance as appealing as this Potato Tomato Chicken Casserole. It looks delightful when set on the table, has a unique texture combination and a medley of flavors that can’t be beaten!
The only missing food group is Grains. Easy enough to solve. Just serve some whole grain bread on the side and you have a healthy and delicious meal that feeds 6!
List of Ingredients
- 2 Tablespoons of Cooking Oil
- 2 Tablespoons of Butter
- 2 Large Boneless Breast of Chicken,
- Cut Into Small Cubes
- 2 Packages, 4 Ounces Each,
- Instant Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 3 Large Plum Tomatoes
- 6 Ounces Shredded Parmesan Cheese
Put It All Together & Bake!
1. In a 5-quart pan melt butter into cooking oil on medium stovetop heat.
2. Add cubed chicken and turn to cook on all sides until meat turns from pink to white. Do not brown/overcook. The meat will finish cooking when baked in the oven.
3. Remove chicken from heat element. Drain excess liquid from the pan.
3. Make instant mashed potatoes according to package directions.
4. Mix the mashed potatoes with the chicken.
5. Chop 2 of the plum tomatoes. Slice 1 plum tomato longways.
6. Mix the chopped tomatoes into the chicken and potato mixture.
7. Spray a 2.5-quart casserole dish with cooking/baking spray.
8. Spoon 1/2 of the chicken, potato, and tomato mixture into the casserole dish.
9. Sprinkle 1/2 the shredded Parmesan over the chicken, potato, and tomato mixture in the casserole dish.
10. Spoon remaining chicken, potato, and tomato mixture into casserole dish.
11. Top the chicken, potato, and tomato mixture with tomato slices in a decorative way (see photo).
12. Sprinkle on the remaining shredded Parmesan.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake casserole for 35-40 minutes or until cheese has melted into tomatoes and has just started to brown. The sides of the casserole dish will be bubbling lightly and just starting to brown as well.
Make Your Own Whole Grain Bread
In a bread machine or in your oven, you can make your own whole-grain bread to serve with your Potato Tomato Chicken Casserole. It’s easy when everything you need comes in a box! Stone-milled in the Ozarks in Missouri and made with an all-natural selection of nine different grains, check out this great price on six 16 ounce boxes!