Casseroles: A Classic Favorite
Casseroles were a big part of my growing up. If we weren’t eating them at our house, then we were somehow finding a way to get ourselves invited for dinner with our friends.
Needless to say, I like casseroles. Nope. Let me rephrase that. I LOVE CASSEROLES!
Casseroles have taken on a whole new arena in the way they are created and presented.
Chicken, beef, tofu, veggie, noodle, cheese, bean, and on and on. It’s endless. I believe that what makes a casserole so unique is that they are actually indeed UNIQUE! Even the traditional chicken casserole has the opportunity to change it up a bit. There are hundreds of ways to make a chicken casserole.
I have often pondered the thought of making one different casserole a week. You know, try something new. It would almost be like visiting a different country every week! Ok..well..not quite, but how fun would it be to see just how daring I could get with a different casserole. Get away from the everyday doldrums of cooking.
I started looking through the casseroles I have made in the past and remembered asking myself, “what if I added this or added that?” Hahaha….I have to admit.. some of them I ended up giving to Candy, my German Short-haired Pointer.
I have become better as I get older. Well, at least I’d like to think so. But I will let you be the judge of that.
This recipe for Noodle and Ground Beef Casserole makes you look twice and think, “Those ingredients? Really?”
But trust me, it’s a great casserole and kids love it!
Casseroles are perfect for preparing them the day or night before you will actually serve them. It is so easy to prepare. Then, all you have to do is put your casserole in the oven 1 hour before the company comes. This way you can tend to other important matters.
Since I’m big on salads, I suggest serving this yummy casserole with a small dinner salad.
Prep and Bake Time
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 45 min
Ready in: 1 hour 15 min
Yields: 12 Servings
- 8 cups Noodles (1lb) cooked & drained, (I like to use spinach noodles for the added color)
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 lbs Ground beef, (can be substituted with ground turkey)
- 4-8oz. cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups cottage cheese (small curd)
- 2-8oz pkg. cream cheese softened
- ½ cups sour cream
- 2/3 cups scallions, minced
- 1 tbsp green peppers, minced
- Brown meat in butter and stir in tomato sauce.
- Combine cottage cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, scallions, and green pepper in a separate bowl.
- Put half the noodles in the bottom of the buttered casserole; cover with cheese mixture.
- Cover with remaining noodles. Top with tomato meat sauce.
- Cover and chill overnight so flavors can blend.
- Preheat oven to Bake 375⁰ and bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve with a tossed green dinner salad.