How to make Chicken Arrabiata
This dish will serve 4 adults with the ingredients given, however for more or fewer people adjust the ingredients to suit.
This is a family chicken Arrabiata recipe, which we have made hundreds of times, if you have young children you may want to reduce or swop the chilies for something different to suit their taste buds. For others, you can make the sauce as hot as you like by adding one or two more chilies. The recipe provided is for a medium/hot sauce.
Arrabiata sauce is an Italian sauce, originally made in Rome. The name arrabbiata literally means ” angry sauce” due to the fact that the recipe contains chilies. There are a few different varieties of Arrabiata sauce some adding different types of chili peppers to alter the heat and some chefs adding the basil. This sauce is a tried and tested one but by experimenting you can easily make the sauce you prefer. The main ingredients of any Arrabiata sauce are good olive oil, garlic, chilies, tomatoes, and parsley or basil.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
Ready in: 45 min
Yields: Will serve 4 Adults
Chicken Arrabiata Ingredients
- 2 large teaspoons Olive Oil, Extra Virgin
- 12 Fresh Tomatoes, Chopped
- 4oz Tomato Puree, 2 squeezes from the tube.
- 1 lb 4 Chicken breasts, skin removed- cut up into cubes.
- 8 Large Mushrooms, Sliced
- 1 (one) Large Onion, Chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Chopped
- 1 (one) Handful of Fresh Parsley, Chopped
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning/ Mixed herbs, Sprinkled
- 2 Large Chillies, Med/ Hot
- 1 (one) Packet of dried or fresh Pasta, Penne, or Rigatoni
Instructions for cooking your Chicken Arrabiata
- Chop the parsley and put it to one side. Remove the chicken skin and cut breasts into bite-size portions.
- In a large flat pan or wok heat up the olive oil. Add the garlic, chilies, and half the parsley. Let the garlic soften for one or two minutes.
- Add the chopped onion, mushrooms, and chicken and stir. Cook the chicken on medium heat until cooked through-10-15 mins.
- Add the Italian seasoning or herbs. Salt and black pepper to taste. Add if you have some, a glass of red wine.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato puree and stir gently. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and leave to cool for 25/30 minutes. Remove the lid for the last 8-10 mins to thicken sauce if needed.
- Remove from the heat, cover, and leave. The longer the better.
- When your ready for your meal, reheat the sauce for 10 mins until hot. Cook your pasta as instructed on the pack, add a pinch of salt to the boiling water with a spoonful of olive oil. Drain and serve immediately.
- This dish keeps very well, so make a few hours before eating or the day before. The longer the garlic and chilies have to marinate in the sauce the better.
This dish can be served with all types of pasta including spaghetti, but we prefer penne or rigatoni-your choice, it doesn’t really matter. This dish because it is a little fiery ( hot) is great on an autumn or winter Fri/Sat evening with friends round for dinner as everything can be pre-prepared.
Serve the dish with pasta and a green salad. We like to add french green beans, cut them in half, and add them to the salad. Sprinkle a few basil leaves over the pasta sauce before serving. Have some ciabatta or garlic bread cut up ready so you can soak any juices up with it.
Have a bowl of Parmesan cheese on the table for your family and friends to enjoy.
Try a bottle or two of Italian red, something like Valpolicella wine which goes excellently with this dish.-Enjoy!!
Hope you enjoy your meal, would you mind now either re-tweeting it or adding it to Facebook. You can vote this recipe up at the bottom of the page and leave any comments for me-thanks.
Serving size: Per Portion
Calories from Fat 54
Fat 6 g 9%
Saturated fat 1 g 5%
Unsaturated fat 0 g
Carbohydrates 29 g 10%
Sugar 1 g
Fiber 4 g 16%
Protein 10 g 20%
Cholesterol 1 mg